Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Your Mommy and My Mommy

Dear Grace,

Last week I put on a pair of your father's black socks. (He is always telling me that I can buy some for myself, but I only wear them two or three times a month. I would rather spend that money on something that I would wear more often. Also, he has a lot of socks. I should know, I bought them.)

Anyway, I put on the socks and you turned to Ryan and said, "Your mommy and my mommy put on our daddy's socks." Ryan of course then laughed at you. I laughed too!

I started thinking about the wording. Let me know if I am reading into this too much.

Do I treat you and your brother different? Well, duh, I have to. He is a baby. He needs attention and he needs it differently than you. And well, frankly he is a lot needier than you.

Do I love one of you more? No! I thought I would when I was pregnant. I didn't know if I could love and hold and smile at another baby like I did and do with you. If anything, having Ryan made me love you more than I did before. I love Ryan just as much as you, but my love for you grew. I am not sure how. Several times a day I tear up (just a little) when I think of you and Ryan. I am so overwhelmed with the love that I feel for you two. I am so blessed!

Is this a possession issue? I think maybe. Lately you are asking me to hold you quite a bit. I love doing holding you. I am trying to make more of an effort to not push you aside, but you don't often complain. You are patient and loving and so sweet.


Love,
Mom

3 comments:

The Cullimore's said...

I agree...Grace has been very patient and loving during this time. We are very fortunate to have such a loving and amazing little girl and such a fun little boy. OH...and stop wearing my socks...lol!

Love ya! DC

Jeff and Jenn said...

That was a beautiful post & I love the format you do of writing letters to your children. What a treasure those will be for them!

Aperfectlysunnyday said...

I know I am well..3 1/2 years behing but hey give me a break. i was on a mission. But whoa! That was way funny and cute. I love reading your blog i laugh so hard!